Monday, August 15, 2011

Reflection on Inconvenience

I was driving today and reflecting about what I wanted to put into today's blog post.  The words came to me without prompting:

"Christianity is not a religion of convenience."

Jesus constantly told parables and instructed his followers to do very difficult things.

"Pick up your cross and follow me."  Remember, in those days, the cross was an instrument of torture and death.  It was not a nice, shiny thing to wear around one's neck as jewelry.  It was a nasty, horrible, gruesome way to die.

There is a song that has the refrain, "They'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love.  They'll know we are Christians by our love."

My reflection today is about love.

No one would  take a second glance at a family member who loves another family member.  This is the natural order of things and is not specific to Christianity.  No one would take a second glance at a friend who does something in love for a friend.  This is the natural order of things and is not specific to Christianity.

What does it mean to love a stranger?  Love, not common courtesy.  Love, not mutual respect.  Love, not tolerance.

If we strive to act in a way that makes passersby say, "Wow, what makes that chick tick?  Why on earth would she do XYZ to a total stranger?"  or "Why would that chick do XYZ to somebody who obviously doesn't like her?"

What an extraordinary concept.  What an extraordinary effort such a life requires.  What an extraordinary Companion, Friend, and Spirit we need to act in such a way.

Preaching religion until we are blue in the face, even if we use the best oratorical skills imaginable doesn't change hearts in the way that simple acts of extraordinary kindness can.  Christ's love shines for the recipient of these simple acts of kindness.

Do we allow Christ's light to shine there in us when it is inconvenient?

I am struck in particular about when Jesus told the disciples to go out two by two with no extra clothes, no extra money, etc., and preach the Good News.

In my mind, I hear Peter's wife saying, "You're going to do what?  I don't think so.  What is your family supposed to eat?  Fish don't find their way to our table without the fisherman, ya know?"

Ok, so Peter's wife didn't have the Midwestern, "ya know," in her dialect, but I had to throw it in there.

Jesus' request was very simple, yet very inconvenient.

My prayer is that I act with love toward strangers and those in need of love even when I have my own problems, even when I have my own struggles, even when I feel insecure and need reassurance about myself. It's not all about me.  Acts of love always keep me grounded.

Dear Jesus,

May I do as You instructed, commanded, and modeled by your life, death, and resurrection.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment